With the hype surrounding the Saudi solar power market lately, a rational view has become much needed to put things back into perspective. How ready is the Saudi market for investment, which solar technology will lead the way, and how different will solar power purchase agreements be from the existing ones?
There are many investment opportunities for commercial scale solar energy projects in Turkey. Financing is still a challenge, but that is likely to be overcome by the booming interest in the sector.
It’s hard to imagine that a few years ago, a 1 MW PV plant was seen as a large project, when Saudi Arabia is targeting 6000 MW of solar PV capacity by 2020. The achievement of such an ambitious goal, however, will require the installation of around 10,000 solar panels per day.
Turkey updated its policy on unlicensed renewable energy production in early October, making it possible for owners of small solar PV systems to sell their surplus to the government.
EXPERT COMMENT: Apricum Senior Advisor, Christian Langen, shares his view on the forward momentum of the solar industry. Despite the many challenges it faces from powerful fossil fuel proponents, the solar industry is destined for success, regardless of governmental energy policy of the day.
In light of his newest book ‘The Energy of Nations’, Solarplaza catches up with Jeremy Leggett, the leading British solar entrepreneur and environmental well-doer who’s been a regular guest speaker at our PV events.
Solarplaza interviews Christian Carraro, who is responsible for the development and consolidation of Tigo Energy's business and organization in Europe, Middle East and Africa. Christian brings to Tigo Energy almost 10 years of experience in solar business specializing in start-ups, business development & sales, and subsidiaries management. His broad ...
- 03 Oct 13 10,000 Solar panels per day required to achieve Saudi Government goal
- 30 Sep 13 The right O&M software can improve solar plant efficiency by 5% and cut operations costs by 40%
- 19 Sep 13 The Crucial Role of Operations and Maintenance in Maximizing Financial Results of PV ...
- 27 Aug 13 Implications of the EU–China anti-dumping settlement
- 27 Aug 13 ‘Solar energy can cut down electricity costs in Indonesia’
- 13 Aug 13 Massive solar power sets energy utilities further aside (video)
- 09 Jul 13 Solar Guru Jigar Shah on his new book: 'Creating Climate Wealth'
- 11 Jun 13 "Chile, Peru, Brazil & Mexico are relevant. Other markets to watch are Colombia, Ecuador ...
- 30 May 13 The status of the Global PV market in 5 simple visuals
- 29 May 13 10 Energy Storage startups to watch
- 27 May 13 "By 2013, we expect 13 Indian states to achieve commercial parity"
- 08 May 13 Australia predicted to install 750MW in 2013
- 06 May 13 Moving the UK solar market past the ‘boom and bust’ stage
- 02 May 13 Dutch 2020 targets "just an exercise for the real thing"
- 01 May 13 Multinationals increasingly switch to solar energy
- 23 Apr 13 Solar Energy Growth Explodes Through Local Initiatives
- 22 Apr 13 Solar energy is a disruptive development
- 11 Apr 13 China’s Yingli Tops PV Module Supplier Rankings in 2012; Suntech Slips to Fifth